It’s been a month since my last post, and I figured I’d give an update. Got some more writing done; almost finished with a story I’ll be submitting to Writers of the Future in a few days. Participated in some cool operations, but of course I won’t go into that here. Maybe some other time, and someplace else that’s not so public. 🙂
I’ve been working out, of course. I’m one week from finishing Insanity for the second time this deployment. That’s been fun, and of course, the workout is no joke. Once I’m done with this round, I’m going to focus on weights and the exercise bike (I hate treadmills or I’d run. At least the bike we have has videos of various routes on the Tour du France, so it’s not completely mind-numbing). Earlier in the deployment I had been working hard on my pull-ups, but I got tendonitis in my elbows so I stopped for a while to heal. It’s been a couple months now and the elbows feel 100%, so I re-started my pull-up regime yesterday. Obviously, I’ve lost some of the progress I’d made before, and I went with sets of two (before I was doing sets of 3 or 4) so as to not press too hard too soon. But I’m back on the horse again, which is good.
And of course I’ve been reading and listening. Here’s what I’ve finished over the last month.
- The Legend of Drizzt – R A Salvatore
- The Telltale Heart and Other Stories – Edgar Allan Poe
- Eternity Base – Bob Mayer
- The Gripping Hand – Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
- Jumper – Steven Gould
- Dead in the Family – Charlaine Harris
- The Lies of Locke Lamora – Scott Lynch
- Totaled – Kary English (it’s a short story, but it counts. And, it’s awesome)
- Fiction River: Moonscapes – Various
- The Black – Paul E Cooley
Of course, the next question would be what did I think of these various books? Well, you can look to Goodreads for that. But suffice it to say I enjoyed all of them, to one extent or another. Can’t say any of them left me disappointed or pissed off, and most left me grinning. So that’s a good thing.
I’m currently reading the following.
- The Sam Gunn Omnibus – Ben Bova
- Colonel Roosevelt – Edmund Morris (going slow on this one)
- Monster Hunter Vendetta – Larry Correia (I was just starting this as of last post, but got distracted with other books first, obviously. I’m about 1/3 done now)
- Trigger Warning – Neil Gaiman (After all the whining from the continually offended over the title, I HAD to get this book and read it. I’m about 2/3 done)
So…what’s next up?
- The Damnation Game – Clive Barker
- A Canticle of Leibowitz – Walter M Miller
- The Bourne Identity – Robert Ludlum (I keep meaning to come back to this one. I started it about a year ago but stopped a couple chapters in. Not that I don’t like it, but for whatever reason I just felt like moving on to other things)
- Darkship Thieves – Sarah Hoyt
- Running From The Night – R J Terrell
- Monster Hunter Alpha – Larry Correia
- The Disappeared – Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- On Basilisk Station – David Weber
Yeah, I know. My list of upcoming written books is different than it was last month. And I read some things this month that weren’t even on the upcoming list last month. What can I say, I’m flighty. Or something.
So that’s what’s up over here. Deployment’s still fun, but I’m getting to the point where I’m ready to be done. Just one more month to go. 🙂